Make-up Artist Awarded $250,000 For Botched Nose Job

By : webadmin | on 12:50 PM October 18, 2011
Category : Archive

Elena Chong - Straits Times Indonesia

Singapore's High Court has awarded a make-up artist $250,000 plus costs for plastic surgery on his nose that went horribly wrong in 2008.

Last year, Sng Hock Guan, known professionally as Yuan Sng, 40, had sued Advanced Aesthetic & Surgery and its owner, Dr Amal Dass, for, among other things, breach of contract and medical negligence.

The payout follows three years of pain, said Sng, as well as a string of post-surgery infections and corrective surgery done in South Korea.

He expressed relief yesterday, and said the judgment by Justice Woo Bih Li vindicated his decision to file suit against Dr Dass, 41, a general practitioner and husband of model Junita Simon.

Sng said: "He was negligent when he botched my operation. He harmed me. Doctors should not harm their patients. It has been a long and difficult journey for me these last three years."

Dr Dass, who was not in court, threw in the towel yesterday, the first of five days set aside to hear the suit.

Represented by Mak Wei Munn and Jacqueline Chua Sin Yen of Allen & Gledhill, he admitted to Sng's claims for breach of contract and negligence, but not to fraudulent misrepresentation.

Sng was represented by a Drew & Napier team led by Wendell Wong.

Sng, who has done make-up on Chinese movie stars Gong Li and Zhao Wei, said in his statement of claim that he relied heavily on his physical appearance and personal grooming to inspire confidence in his clients, and therefore to sustain his livelihood.

He stated that the Feb 5, 2008, rhinoplasty, or nose surgery, by Dr Dass commenced although he had not been properly sedated by propofol - a claim which the doctor denies.

Propofol is the drug linked to pop star Michael Jackson's death.

For six hours, while strapped down, he endured excruciating pain. He tried to signal this to Dr Dass and the medical team, but went unnoticed.

Then three days later, complications set in. His right cheek became swollen, and he found a wad of blood-soaked gauze in his nose.

On or around Feb 9, 2008, his nose became red and swollen, and oozed blood and pus.

When he saw Dr Dass the next day, the doctor said the gauze had been left inside his nose to prevent a backflow of blood.

Sng underwent nose flushes and another operation to clear the infection, and had to wear a nose brace, a pyramid-shaped device, after that.

Later that month, he found a depression on the right side of his nose and two holes between his eyes.

When he saw Dr Dass again, he was advised to be patient because these were "normal" and to be expected.

When he was hit by another infection the following month, he stopped going to this doctor.

But when he asked Dr Dass about the multiple complications from the surgery, the doctor blamed the previous nasal reconstructions done by other plastic surgeons.

Sng flew to South Korea in June that year to remove the nose implant.

When the doctors there tried reconstructing his nose around August, his nose became infected again.

In a subsequent operation, the Korean doctors found the remnants of a knotted thread in his nose left behind by Dr Dass during the rhinoplasty.

Sng said it is now for the Singapore Medical Council to judge whether Dr Dass had the necessary license and qualifications to perform the nose job.

He also expressed hope that the authorities will look into the use of propofol by doctors in Singapore, and added: "I do not wish for anyone to have to go through the same nightmare as I did under Dass' knife."

Reprinted courtesy of Straits Times Indonesia. To subscribe to Straits Times Indonesia and/or the Jakarta Globe call 021 2553 5055.