Jakarta. Indonesia condemns North Korea for its sixth nuclear test, in which an advanced hydrogen bomb was reportedly used, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Monday (04/09).
"Indonesia reaffirms the importance of preserving stability in the Korean Peninsula, and calls on all parties involved to contribute to peace, also by efforts to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula," the ministry said in a statement.
North Korea's state television said the hydrogen bomb test on Sunday was a success and the bomb is going to be mounted on its newly developed intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
The test was condemned around the world and increased already profound tensions.
According to reports from Chinese state news agency Xinhua, Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed to "appropriately deal" with North Korea's latest nuclear test, during a meeting on the sidelines of the annual BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summit in Xiamen, China.
The test also drew a strong response from the United States, with US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis threatening "a massive military response" if the US or its allies are targeted, Reuters reported.
The United Nations Security Council is scheduled to meet on Monday to discuss the situation.
The council has previously imposed sanctions on North Korea, which include banning imports of its coal, iron and ore. The sanctions are expected to slash a third of the country's $3 billion annual export revenue, but has not proved an effective deterrent, as North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has not halted his increasingly sophisticated nuclear programs.
In the statement, Indonesia also said the tests "endanger the environment and health of the world's population" due to the release of radioactive particles, and break the existing Security Council resolutions concerning on nuclear weapons.