Jakarta. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Monday morning (25/07) that at least 11 Indonesians – including a baby – have been killed in a boat accident as their boat sank off Pantai Batu Layar near Kota Tinggi in Johor, Malaysia, on Saturday night.
Lalu Muhammad Iqbal, the ministry's director of the protection of Indonesian citizens and entities, said in a statement that the death toll has increased to 11 after Malaysian search and rescue teams found two other bodies from the scene. They previously informed that nine Indonesians were killed in the accident.
Lalu said the authorities have only identified two out of the 11 victims as they carried no identity cards, adding “the ministry has coordinated with the National Police's disaster victim investigation unit to identify the victims.”
A boat carrying around 60 Indonesians sank about 80 meters from Pantai Batu Layar shore at around 11 p.m. local time after it departed for Batam in the Riau Islands through an unofficial route.
The passengers — who reportedly left Malaysia without proper immigration documents — apparently jumped off the boat when it started to take in water. Big waves near Pantai Batu Layar had allegedly triggered the accident.
At least 34 passengers survived the accident but 20 others are still missing.
The Indonesian Consulate General in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, will organize transport for the survivors to return to Indonesia.