Jakarta. The death toll in the Aceh earthquake has risen to 102, while 700 people have been injured, the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, or BNPB, said on Thursday (08/12).
The 6.4-magnitude quake hit Aceh's Pidie Jaya district early on Wednesday morning, damaging at least 450 buildings, including 20 mosques, in the province.
BNPB spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said at least 3,267 residents have been evacuated from Pidie Jaya, Pidie and Bireueun districts, as their homes were either damaged or destroyed by the quake.
Meanwhile, the Aceh provincial administration declared a 14-day state of emergency on Wednesday.
"The Indonesian Military [TNI] plans to build a temporary hospital in Pidie Jaya today to help the handling of injured victims," Sutopo said.
The BNPB has so far sent 10 tents and 10 power generators, as well as food and other necessities, to assist the victims. A joint team of around 1,460 members of the military, police, rescue agencies and volunteers has been deployed to participate in search and evacuation efforts.