Jakarta. The government lifted the emergency status in North Lombok district on Lombok Island, West Nusa Tenggara, on Sunday (26/08) and is now focused on post-disaster reconstruction.
The region was seriously damaged by a series of earthquakes in the past few weeks, with claimed the lives of 473 people and left more than 134,000 homeless.
"Now we have transitioned from emergency to recovery, but the [relief] service is still the same as in the emergency response period," said Sauki from the North Lombok District Disaster Management Agency.
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo issued an instruction last week to coordinating ministries to organize rehabilitation efforts on the island.
"Rehabilitation and reconstruction of educational, health care, religious and economic facilities must be completed no later than by the end of December 2018. Other facilities are to be completed no later than by December 2019," he said in the instruction letter.
On Sunday, the government deployed heavy machinery to clear debris and prepare reconstruction. State-owned enterprises have also been mobilized to distribute aid, raging from food, medical supplies to makeshift houses.
"The duties of the SOEs in this recovery phase are to build temporary houses, toilets, medical care centers and to provide working capital loans to farmers," State Enterprises Minister Rini Soemarno said in a statement.
So far 50 SOEs have been involved in the relief efforts, including lenders Bank Mandiri and Bank Negara Indonesia, telecommunications company Telekomunikasi Indonesia and cement maker Semen Indonesia.
They companies disbursed around Rp 13 billion($889,000) worth of food, medical and clothing supplies in the region. State-controlled steel maker Krakatau Steel and trading house Perusahaan Perdagangan Indonesia shipped 33 tons of galvanized steel to Lombok last week in an effort to stabilize the prices of building materials in the region.
The Ministry of Finance said last week that it has already earmarked additional Rp 700 billion for the relief efforts, on top of this year's Rp 700 billion disaster mitigation budget of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB).
The ministry also said that it has prepared Rp 4 trillion for disaster mitigation in the country and is ready to channel it to Lombok, if required.
BNPB estimates the earthquakes caused at least Rp 5 trillion losses.