Jakarta. Anti-graft agency KPK said on Wednesday (15/03) it will request the Immigration Office to extend the six-month travel bans on two suspects and three witnesses in the electronic ID card, or e-KTP, graft case.
The Immigration Office has prevented the two suspects, former high-ranking officials at the Home Affairs Ministry, Sugiharto and Irman, from leaving the country since September last year, along with three key witnesses — businessman Andi Narogong, Printing Press Company Consortium (PNRI) Head Isnu Edhi Wijaya and Anang Sugiana, president director of software company Quadra Solution.
Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) spokesman Febri Diansyah said he will request the Immigration Office to extend the travel bans on all five suspects since the investigation into the graft case is still ongoing.
"The witnesses have been prevented from leaving the country since we still need their testimonies," Febri told reporters at KPK headquarters in South Jakarta.
Sugiharto and Irman, who are currently on trial, stand accused of having embezzled funds from the e-KTP project, which was worth a total of Rp 5.9 trillion ($442.5 million). The graft case caused Rp. 2.3 trillion in state losses.
The project, which was supposed to provide biometric ID cards for all Indonesians aged 17 years and older, was mothballed in October 2015 following a series of problems, including a late start, technical glitches and officials demanding payments from residents to provide the ostensibly free service.
In the first session of the trial against Sugiharto and Irman on Thursday last week, KPK prosecutors' indictment against the two revealed possible involvement of dozens of lawmakers and top government officials in the case.
They include House of Representatives speaker Setya Novanto, lawmaker Melchias Marcus Mekeng, Central Java governor Ganjar Pranowo, Justice and Human Rights Minister Yasonna Laoly and former House speaker Marzuki Ali.