One Schoolchild Dies, More Than 50 Suffer Seizures After Consuming Pills in Southeast Sulawesi

A child lies unconscious in a mental hospital in Kendari, Southeast Sulawesi, on Thursday (14/09) after taking an overdose of PCC, a prescription pill. (Antara Photo/Jojon)

By : Jakarta Globe | on 8:06 PM September 14, 2017
Category : News, Featured

Jakarta. At least one schoolchild died and more than 50 suffered from seizures in Southeast Sulawesi after consuming drinks that appeared to be spiked with prescription pills, an official said on Thursday (14/09).

The children were rushed from several elementary and junior high schools in Kendari to hospitals on Wednesday, in what the National Narcotics Agency (BNN) described as an "extraordinary occurrence."

The pills mixed into the children's drinks were inscribed with the letters "PCC," which stands for "Paracetamol Caffeine Carisoprodol," a "dangerous hard drug," according to the BNN.

Details on how the pills had reached the students remain unclear, but BNN enforcement deputy Insp. Gen. Arman Depari said they were prescription drugs.

He said PCC is commonly taken to relieve headache, migraine and rheumatism. "But careless consumption can result in seizures or poisoning," Arman told reporters in Jakarta.

BNN has also conducted further laboratory tests on the pills with the assistance of the Food and Drugs Monitoring Agency (BPOM), it said in a statement.

Show More

 
MORE NEWS