Two Papua Police Officers Shot Dead in Alleged Separatist Attack i

By : Banjir Ambarita | on 3:28 PM July 29, 2014
Category : News, Crime

[Updated at 3:38 p.m. on Tuesday, July 29, 2014]

Jayapura. A group of armed men, alleged to be part of a Papuan separatist group, on Monday afternoon shot at eight police officers in a village in the Lany Jaya district, resulting in two casualties and six injuries.

Papua Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Pudjo Sulistyo said the officers were training residents of Indawa village when the armed group attacked them.

“After the attack, the armed group ran away and returned to the forest,” Pudjo said on Tuesday.

The two victims have been identified as Second Brig. Yoga Ginugy, who was shot in the belly, and Second Brig. Zulkifli D. Putra, who was shot in the head. Both died at the scene.

Two of the injured officers were identified as Second Brig. Alex Numbery and Second Brig. Helsky Bonyadone.

Papuan police and military officers have joined together in a manhunt for the perpetrators.

“We should condemn [such violence] strongly, as those police officers were on human resources development duty, giving training in the village so that residents in Papuan villages will have legal awareness, be smarter and are enabled to face changes," Pudjo said. “The role of the police institution in building people’s character is very important in a democratic society, especially to support the development programs for district heads and governors."

National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Ronny F. Sompie said in a report by state-run Antara news agency that the armed group was led by separatist leader Enden Wanimbo.

"Officers who were injured have been evacuated to the Wamena General Hospital," Ronny said.

He added that the Papua Police deputy chief, director of intelligence and security as well as the head of Papua’s mobile brigade would head to Lany Jaya on Tuesday to provide additional security and arrange an operational strategy for the local district police.

Ronny said the shooting had taken place a 90-minute drive from the Lanny Jaya district police station, or two hours from Wamena.

The assault came on the same day as an attack by an unidentified armed group against a military post in the Tinggi Nambut area of Papua’s Puncak Jaya district.


Show More