Jakarta. Traffic congestion on Jakarta’s main roads increased by almost 25 percent during the first week in which the controversial carpooling system 3-in-1 was suspended, the city's transportation agency said on Sunday (10/04).
Jakarta Transportation Agency head Andri Yansah said there was 24.35 percent more traffic on the capital’s main roads — Jalan Gatot Subroto, Jalan M.H. Thamrin and Jalan Sudirman — last week, when 3-in-1 was suspended for the first time.
“From April 5 to 8, severe traffic jams were reported in the Semanggi area and Jalan Jenderal Sudirman heading to the Senayan traffic circle,” Andri said, adding that the agency also recorded a significant decline in traffic on alternative routes.
The agency plans to do more to promote alternative routes to road users and to control traffic during rush hours.
Andri predicted road users will turn to alternative routes during the second week of 3-in-1's suspension as most of them seek directions from traffic navigation apps like Waze and Google Maps.
However, the trial suspension didn't seem to have any impact on the public's enthusiasm, or lack thereof, to use the city’s public transport network. The agency only recorded a 5 percent increase in the number of TransJakarta passengers during the suspension period.
The 3-in-1 system, which bars private cars carrying fewer than three people from entering some of Jakarta's main thoroughfares during rush hours, will be suspended again this week from April 11 to 13 as the Jakarta administration seeks a more effective way of controlling the city's worsening traffic.
The administration is still preparing regulations and payment procedures for an electronic road pricing system, an alternative that will require cars to pay to pass certain roads using onboard units.