The Ministry of Transportation said in a statement on Saturday that the coast guard vessel KN Chundamani had joined the search operation, led by the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas). (Photo courtesy of Instagram/@kn_chundamani)

3 Survivors, 4 Bodies Found in Ongoing Search for Missing Crew of Ship Believed Sunk in Makassar Strait

BY : TELLY NATHALIA

AUGUST 04, 2019

Jakarta. The search continues for 30 missing crewmembers of a fishing vessel believed to have sunk in the Makassar Strait on July 31, after passing ships plucked three survivors and four bodies from the water last week.

The Ministry of Transportation said in a statement on Saturday that the coast guard vessel KN Chundamani had joined the search operation, led by the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas).

The ill-fated KM Pieces left Pekalongan in Central Java with a crew of 37 on July 22 for Makassar, South Sulawesi. The last radio contact occurred on July 28, when no problems were reported.

On Wednesday morning, the vessel KM Bintang Mas Delima found two survivors and two bodies, while KM Rezeki Utama found two more bodies the following day.

KM Bunga Tanjung found another survivor about 60 nautical miles southeast of Tanjung Selatan in South Kalimantan on Saturday.

Ahmad, a director at the Indonesian Sea and Coast Guard (KPLP), said in the statement that the search continues for the remaining crewmembers.

Basarnas announced the names of the missing crewmembers on Sunday.

"We urge the victims' families to remain patient … all parties are involved – the military, police and related stakeholders," Basarnas director Didi Hamzar said in Balikpapan, South Kalimantan, on Sunday, as quoted by kompas.com.

Only one of the four bodies that were found, has so far been identified. Among the survivors is one of five interns who were on board the fishing vessel.

SHARE