Prabowo Subianto and Sandiaga Uno at Prabowo's residence in South Jakarta on Thursday evening. (Antara Photo/Sigid Kurniawan)

Prabowo Disbands Coalition After Election Dispute Loss

BY : YEREMIA SUKOYO & TELLY NATHALIA

JUNE 28, 2019

Jakarta. Prabowo Subianto officially disbanded his "Adil Makmur" coalition on Friday after losing a legal battle at the Constitutional Court to overturn the result of the presidential election in April. 

Prabowo gathered top officials from the political parties in his coalition at his residence in South Jakarta to tell them of the disbandment. He also disbanded his campaign team.

"The coalition has done its job. The campaign team has also completed its tasks," Ahmad Muzani, the secretary general of Prabowo's Great Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra), said after the meeting.

The Constitutional Court on Thursday rejected a list of demands from Prabowo's legal team which were intended to overturn the outcome of the presidential election, which ended with a re-election win for President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo. 

"The parties [in the coalition] now have their own decision to make [whether to join the opposition or the Jokowi government]," Ahmad said.

Two of the parties, the Democratic Party and the National Mandate Party, have previously indicated they might join the government coalition.

The other members of the coalition were the Prosperous Justice Party and Beringin Karya.

SHARE

RECOMMENDED STORIES