Great Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra) chairman Prabowo Subianto, right, and gubernatorial candidate Anies Baswedan, center, participating in a media event in Jakarta on Saturday (15/04). Prabowo declared victory for Anies and his running mate, Sandiaga Uno, in the second round of the Jakarta gubernatorial election on Wednesday. (Antara Photo/Puspa Perwitasari)

Anies-Sandiaga Declares Victory in Jakarta Election After Quick Count Result


APRIL 19, 2017

Jakarta. Anies Baswedan and running mate Sandiaga Salahuddin Uno have declared victory after quick count results showed that they received most of the votes in the second round of the Jakarta gubernatorial election on Wednesday (19/04).

Great Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra) chairman Prabowo Subianto, who backed Anies and Sandiagio, declared the pair's victory at Rumah Kertanegara in South Jakarta.


"Thank God. We just have news that the quick count said Jakarta will have a new governor and deputy governor," Prabowo said.

"Anies and Sandi were chosen as candidates at Rumah Kertanegara on Sept. 23 last year, and today they declare their victory at the same place," Prabowo added.

"It is my honor to congratulate Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno here. This is a victory for all Jakartans. This is a win for democracy. And for sure, we won't be winning if prominent figures did not support Anies-Sandi."

Prabowo also highlighted the need to embrace all parties as they are also Indonesians.

"It is clear that we are one nation that lives on the same ship. We must get along with others, all religions, all ethnicities must be one, that's my commitment," the former Army general said.

In a more diplomatic way, Anies said this is a milestone for him and Sandiaga to set off on a new journey to return justice to Jakartans.

"For us, our journey is just starting. What we have achieved is not only victory in the election, but a victory to bring back justice to the capital city," Anies said.

He promised that he and Sandiaga will remain consistent and focus on resolving social justice issues.

"Jakarta is the most diverse city in Indonesia, and we are committed to take care of it, as well as fighting for unity in this city. We want to celebrate unity and diversity at the same time," Anies said.

He added that he and Sandiaga will remain friends with rivals Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama and Djarot Saiful Hidayat.

Sandiaga echoed this sentiment and said he and Anies will start reconciliation with their rivals right away.

"Reconciliation starts today, at this very hour; we will communicate with Basuki and Djarot and asks for their time to have a dialogue," Sandiaga said.

Based on the quick count result by Saiful Mujani Research and Consulting (SMRC), Anies and Sandiaga received 58.31 percent of the votes, while rival pair Ahok-Djarot only managed to get 41.69 percent.

Another pollster, Cyrus Network, also recorded a landslide win for Anies-Sandiaga at 57.39 percent of the vote, leaving Ahok-Djarot with 42.61 percent.