A screen shot from the video, which appears to show Indonesian children training with assault weapons in front of an ISIS flag. (JG Photo)
Authorities Scramble to Take Down Indonesian Language IS Video
BY :EZRA SIHITE
MARCH 17, 2015
Jakarta. Indonesia's State Intelligence Agency (BIN) said on Tuesday it would work with the Ministry of Communications and Information to block a video that appears to show Indonesian children training with assault weapons and reciting verses from the Koran in front of an Islamic State (IS) flag.
“We will immediately coordinate with the ministry to block the video,” Marciano Norman, chief of the BIN, told reporters on Tuesday in Jakarta.
The video, which is a little over two-minutes long, was produced by Alazzam Media, which claims to be the Malay language media division of the Islamic Caliphate.
Children, who appear to be under 15-years-old and speak Indonesian, are shown learning the Koran and being taught how to use automatic rifles. In one scene the children appear to be dismantling guns, in another they are shown receiving hand-to-hand combat training.
At one stage a narrator with a male voice asks a boy questions such as “Can you shoot?” and “Can you dismantle a weapon?”, to which he replies “Yes.”
The video, titled “Cahaya Tarbiyah di Bumi Khilafah” (The Light of Education on the Caliphate’s Earth), also shows two adult males, each of them reciting: “Our children are the ones that will return to infidel lands to uphold ‘There’s no other God than Allah’”; and “Those who are fighting for Allah’s religion then Allah will defend and strengthen them as they fight against the infidels.”
Where the video was filmed is not clear, but it first appeared on Azzammedia.com before access to the site was blocked.
The video was uploaded to YouTube on March 17 from an account named FT Video, and received 240 views before it was taken down on Tuesday evening, according to news portal Detik.com.
CNN Indonesia reported the YouTube account ‘Tahukah Kamu’ had also uploaded the video before it was deleted by YouTube.
“They’re trying to show how they will fight against their enemies,” said BIN chief Marciano. “This is one of their efforts to suppress groups that are attacking the ISIS. It’s a form of propaganda by them.”
Comr. Gen. Badrodin Haiti, acting chief of the National Police, said police would request the ministry block all websites that carried the video.
The National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) has estimated that more than 500 Indonesians between the ages of 17 to 25 years had joined the militant group.
Last week, 16 Indonesians seeking to join ISIS — most of them women and children — were detained by the Turkish government when the group tried to enter Syria through Turkey.
Sixteen other Indonesian citizens who went missing from a tour group last week are yet to be located, though Turkish authorities are yet to confirm if they were still in Turkey or had crossed into Syria.
Badrodin said the 32 Indonesians were suspected of trying to join the Islamic State.