National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) Comr. Gen. Suhardi Alius chief leaves the Presidential Palace in Central Jakarta on Monday (10/04) following a meeting with President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo regarding last weekend's drive-by shooting in Tuban district, East Java. (Antara Photo/Puspa Perwitasari)
BNPT Intensifies Probe Into Weekend's Drive-By Shooting in Tuban, E. Java
BY :JG NEWS CHANNEL
APRIL 11, 2017
Jakarta. The head of the National Counterterrorism Agency, or BNPT, has confirmed that they are intensifying their investigation into six alleged terrorists involved in last weekend's drive-by shooting in Tuban district, East Java.
"We are stepping up [the investigation] as these cells are still active in Java. We are still observing developments, so we will not be open [about the investigation results]," BNPT chief Comr. Gen. Suhardi Alius said on Monday (10/04).
Suhardi reported the findings, including measures taken to counter terrorism and radicalism in Indonesia, to President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo during a meeting at the State Palace in Central Jakarta.
"We previously arrested three suspects [before the incident in Tuban], because they were linked to arrests we made in Banten and other locations [in Java]," he said during a media briefing after meeting the president.
Suhardi also praised the National Police's anti-terror unit Densus 88 for their fast reaction to track down and kill the six alleged Islamic State militants.
"We are thankful for our colleagues in Densus 88, who have been very active [against terrorist cells]," he said.
The BNPT has also launched an investigation following the arrest of Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) politician Muhammad Nadir Umar, who is a member of the Pasuruan Legislative Council (DPRD) in East Java.
Nadir was deported from Turkey after an alleged attempt to enter Syria to join Islamic State.
Watch Indonesia Highlights at 8 p.m. tonight on the Jakarta Globe News Channel and Facebook Live to find out more about the drive-by shooting in Tuban.