Civil Servant Overhaul Still Just Talk: House Commission II

BY :HOTMAN SIREGAR

MARCH 11, 2016

Jakarta. Plans to let go a million civil servants by 2019 have not been confirmed, with no formal discussions between the government and the relevant House of Representatives Commission, a lawmaker said on Friday (11/03).

Previously, Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform Minister Yuddy Chrisnandi said he will cut the civil servant fleet to increase the quality of professional civil servants.

Rambe Kamarulzaman, chairman of the House's Commission II overseeing domestic affairs and regional governance, said he had advised the government to apply a comprehensive study before announcing the plans despite not yet having met with the government.

“The idea to rationalize [the quota] at around one million civil servants emerged when 30 percent of the total 4.7 million servants were said to be incompetent. I think it is the context of the idea,” Rambe said in Jakarta.

The Golkar lawmaker said the incompetent employees are a burden to the state budget. He said many regions spend over 60 percent of their total regional budget on payroll, delaying development.

The chairman said he hopes the policy can be coordination with the Commission II and executed in a timely fashion.

SHARE