Defense Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu has warned that anyone rioting outside the Constitutional Court during its hearing of Prabowo Subianto's election dispute would face the full wrath of the law. (Antara Photo/M Risyal Hidayat)
Defense Minister Warns Potential Rioters Ahead of Friday's Constitutional Court Hearing
BY :ROBERTUS WARDI & NUR YASMIN
JUNE 12, 2019
Jakarta. Defense Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu has warned that anyone involved in riots during the Constitutional Court hearing of the election dispute filed by losing presidential candidate pair Prabowo Subianto and Sandiaga Uno would face the full wrath of the law.
"From now on, we remind you, if you act like this, the law will be like that. We have reminded you, so if the law takes force, don't be angry," Ryamizard said at a press conference at the offices of the Ministry of Defense in Central Jakarta on Wednesday.
The minister said the authorities would act professionally and in accordance with the law when dealing with any demonstrations. However, he said they had not received any information regarding planned demonstrations, and expressed hope that there would be no more riots like those of May 21-22.
"Yesterday, we feared there would be a demonstration during Lebaran [Idul Fitri holiday]. We will just wait, but it looks like there will be none," he said.
He said the situation would remain safe, and that members of the Indonesian Military (TNI) and National Police would ensure the security of the state.
"The security situation is good now. We hope it stays like that until June 14," Ryamizard said.
He added that he did not want any incidents that may result in the police and military being blamed for deaths or injuries.
Prabowo has asked his supporters to refrain from demonstrating outside the Constitutional Court building in Central Jakarta. He also appealed to his followers to trust the judges at the country's highest court.
"We really don't want any riots in this country. The resolution for the problems of the nation and the state we want is not like that," he said.
Jakarta Police spokesman Chief Comr. Raden Prabowo Argo Yuwono said 48,000 officers are ready to secure the area around the Constitutional Court building.
The court said on Tuesday that the case registration process had been completed after Prabowo's legal team had submitted all the required documents. The court will hold its first hearing of the dispute on Friday.