Investigators will deliver their first report into the Lion Air crash on Wednesday, a month after the brand-new Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashed into the sea, killing all 189 on board Indonesia's second-worst air disaster. (Reuters Photo/Pascal Rossignol)

Family of Lion Air Crash Victim Sues Boeing, Says Plane Was 'Unreasonably Dangerous'


DECEMBER 30, 2018

Jakarta. The family of an Indonesian man who was killed in the crash of Lion Air flight JT-610 sued Boeing this week, alleging that the Boeing 737 MAX 8 jet was "unreasonably dangerous" due to its inaccurate sensors and that the US manufacturer failed to give proper instructions to pilots.

Forty-year-old Sudibyo Wardoyo from Jakarta was among the 189 people killed on board when the plane crashed into the Java Sea near Jakarta shortly taking off from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Banten on Oct. 29.

The law firm Corboy & Demetrio filed the wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of Sudibyo’s family in the Cook County Circuit Court in Illinois on Monday.

"Not only did Boeing place sensors that provided inaccurate data, it also failed to provide the plane's pilots adequate instructions," Thomas Demetrio, the firm's co-founder, said in a statement.

"It was like Boeing first blindfolded and then tied the hands of the pilots," he added.

The lawsuit is the most recent of several filed against the aircraft manufacturer by relatives of the crash victims, alleging that faults with the new 737 MAX model have led to the deaths.

In the statement, allegations include how "the two-month-old 737 MAX 8 aircraft was unreasonably dangerous because its sensors provided inaccurate data to its flight control system resulting in its anti-stall system to improperly engage."

A preliminary crash report by the National Transportation Safety Committee (KNKT) suggested that pilots of flight JT-610 struggled to control the plane's anti-stalling system before the crash.

The same report also said several problems related to airspeed and altitude had appeared on the aircraft's sensors on several occasions since Oct. 26.

The plane's cockpit voice recorder has yet to be found,  but the KNKT said the search for the second so-called black box is ongoing. The first – the flight data recorder – was retrieved three days after the crash by a team of Indonesian Navy divers.