National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo, right. (Antara Photo/Aprillio Akbar)

Indonesians Linked to Terrorist Plots Arrested in Malaysia


MAY 14, 2019

Jakarta. Two Indonesian citizens alleged to be linked to terrorist plots were arrested in Malaysia recently, the National Police announced in Jakarta on Tuesday.

"Indonesian and Malaysian police worked together to capture two Indonesian citizens suspected of involvement in terrorist plots in Malaysia," police spokesman Brig. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo told reporters.

He did not say when and where the two were arrested. They were captured along with two Malaysian nationals.

Malaysian Police announced on Monday that its counter-terrorism unit has arrested four people – a Malaysian, an Indonesian and two Rohingyas – in a series of raids in Kuala Lumpur, Subang Jaya and Trengganu on May 5-7.

"Our counter terrorism unit found a 'wolf pack' allied with IS [Islamic State] that was planning to assassinate high-profile targets and launch simultaneous terror attacks on entertainment sites, churches and Hindu and Buddhist temples," Malaysian National Police Chief Insp. Gen. Abdul Hamid Bador as qouted by

In the raids, the police also found a pistol, bullets and improvised explosive devices (IED).

Malaysian Police believe the IED came from Syria.

The four suspected terrorists have been charged under Malaysia's Penal Code Act. The police there have also been searching for three mores suspects, Malaysians Syazani Mahzan (35) and Muhammad Nuurul Amin Azizan (27), who were last seen in Kedah, and Indonesian Fatir Tir who was last spotted in Selangor.

The Indonesian police said one of the Indonesian nationals who were captured in Malaysia is a man from North Sumatra.

"Both of them are now being detained by the E8 team, Malaysia's equivalent of our [anti-terror unit] Densus 88," Dedi said.

"Densus 88 are investigating if these individuals have links to JAD [Indonesian terror group Jamaah Ansharut Daulah)," he said.

The Indonesian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur has been granted consular access by Malaysian Police to see the captured Indonesians, according to Dedi.