Deputy Foreign Minister Mahendra Siregar answers reporters' questions on the condition of Indonesian crew members onboard the coronavirus-stricken Grand Princess cruise ship in Jakarta on Wednesday. (Photo courtesy of the Foreign Affairs Ministry)

Indonesians on Coronavirus-Stricken Grand Princess Cruise Ship 'Generally Healthy'


MARCH 11, 2020

Jakarta. Deputy Foreign Minister Mahendra Siregar said on Wednesday the passengers and crew members – including dozens of Indonesians – on the Grand Princess cruise ship currently docked in Oakland are in healthy condition, but it remains unknown whether or not they have been infected with the coronavirus.

"We're communicating with the US authorities to monitor the situation. Our consulate in San Francisco is already in contact with the Indonesian crew members. Generally, they're in healthy condition, but they have not tested [the Indonesians] for the coronavirus," Mahendra said in Jakarta.

Twenty-one passengers on the cruise ship – two passengers and 19 crew members – had tested positive for Covid-19, out of 45 people suspected of having the illness.

There are 57 Indonesians crew members on the cruise ship out of a total of 1,100 crew members and 2,400 passengers.

"We haven't discussed how we're going to evacuate the Indonesian crew members. Our priority right now is to give them all the protection we can. We'll be waiting for the US authorities to come up with a plan," Mahendra said.

US health authorities have been conducting tests on the passengers since the cruise ship docked in Oakland on Friday.

Some of the passengers had left the ship on Monday after being tested. They were moved to a quarantine facility at an undisclosed hospital where they would stay for a minimum of 14 days.

"Once all the passengers have disembarked, the Grand Princess will leave San Francisco Bay with all the crew on board. Plans for a crew quarantine are still being discussed," the Princess cruise announced on its site on Sunday.

The Grand Princess cruise ship embarked on a roundtrip cruise taking in San Francisco, Mexico and Hawaii on Feb. 11–21. It was supposed to dock in Hawaii on Saturday, but the local authorities turned away the ship after noticing flu-like symptoms on several of its crew.