In this video screenshot, Galih Ginanjar, left, is seen talking to Rey Utami, the host of the YouTube channel 'Mulut Sampah' ('TrashTalk'). (YouTube screenshot)

Man to Go on Trial for Saying Ex-Wife 'Smells Like Salted Fish'

BY :HERU ANDRIYANTO, BAYU MARHAENJATI

OCTOBER 15, 2019

Jakarta. A soap opera actor will go on trial for saying in a video that his former wife "smells like salted fish" and that she takes a bath only once every three days, a police spokesman said on Tuesday.

Galih Ginanjar, who has appeared in several television soap operas, will be tried for libel and making slanderous remarks against his ex-wife, Fairuz A. Rafiq, on a video that went viral.

The video was published on Rey Utami's and Pablo Benua's YouTube channel, in a program called "Mulut Sampah" ("Trash Talk").

"Yes, the 'salted fish' video case is now ready [to go on trial]," Jakarta Police spokesman Chief Comr. Argo Yuwono told reporters.

The two YouTubers, host Rey Utami and owner Pablo Benua, will also be tried along with Galih.

In the 32-minute video, Galih spoke at length about Fairuz, comparing her with his current wife who he said was better in many aspects.

When telling host Rey about his sex life with his ex-wife, Galih said, "It's like lifting the lid on a plate of food, and it smells like salted fish."

Rey burst into laughter and asked Galih to repeat what he said. 

Galih went on to criticize his ex-wife's personal hygiene habits.

"She rarely took a bath, maybe once every three or four days," he said.

An angry Fairuz reported Galih and the two YouTubers to police on July 1.

The three were charged with the Electronic Information and Transactions Law (UU ITE) that carries a maximum punishment of six years in prison.

A few days later, the video was deleted from YouTube.

The police were able to detain the three suspects because the alleged crime carries a maximum punishment of more than five years in jail.

Speaking separately, Jakarta Prosecutor's Office spokesman Nirwan Nawawi said his office had announced last week that the police investigation had been completed, meaning the case can now go on trial.

"After reviewing the police dossier against Pablo Putera Benua and the other suspects, the prosecution team concluded it had met the conditions [for trial] according to the Criminal Procedure Code," Nirwan said.

The police will soon hand over their evidence and the suspects to the prosecutor's office, who will prepare the indictment for the trial, he said.
 

SHARE

RECOMMENDED STORIES