Jakarta governor Basuki 'Ahok' Tjahaja Purnama, second from left, top, after being interrogated by the police earlier this month. (Antara Photo/Hafidz Mubarak A.)

No More Protest After Ahok Is Named Suspect: Nat’l Police

BY :FAROUK ARNAZ & EKO PRASETYO

NOVEMBER 17, 2016

Jakarta. The police expect to see no more anti-Ahok protest after Jakarta governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama was declared a suspect in an alleged religious blasphemy case on Wednesday.

"We haven't received any more notice of upcoming protests. People should refrain from taking to the streets again. There might be groups who want to create chaos, let's not give them a chance," National Police spokesman Gen. Insp. Boy Rafli Amar said in Jakarta on Thursday (17/11).

Boy said the public should let the police do their job investigating the case. The fact that they had not hesitated to name Ahok a suspect should be evidence enough that law enforcers have been thoroughly professional and objective — despite the protesters' doubt.

"We now need time to complete the case files so the trial can go ahead. Let's all make sure we can do our job quickly," Boy said.

The police general also said that everyone should do their bid to ensure the 101 simultaneous regional elections next year happen without a hitch.

Indonesia is in the middle of the campaign period for the elections, and Boy said everyone should do their best to keep the peace.

"It's unlawful to disrupt a campaign. All candidates have equal rights to conduct their campaign in peace. Any disruption will be considered a criminal act. The Bawaslu [General Election Supervisory Board] will report any infringement to us," Boy said.

SHARE