Hanura lawmaker Miryam Haryani was sentenced to five years in prison on Monday (13/11). (Antara Photo/Sigid Kurniawan)

Police Arrest Hanura Lawmaker in Electronic ID Card Graft Case


MAY 01, 2017

Jakarta. Police arrested Miryam S. Haryani, a People's Conscience Party, or Hanura, lawmaker who stands accused of giving false testimony in the electronic ID card graft case, in the early hours of Monday (01/05).

The arrest in the elite suburb of Kemang in South Jakarta ended weeks of search for Miryam, who was named a suspect in the case by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) earlier this month.

Last Thursday the anti-graft agency asked police to put Miryam — who has ignored several KPK summons since being named a suspect — on its wanted list.

"We assisted KPK officers to make the arrest as they requested," National Police spokesman Chief Comr. Martinus Sitompul said in Jakarta on Monday.

Officers brought Miryam to the Jakarta Police headquarters to be detained. The House of Representatives (DPR) member will later be handed over to the KPK.

"We're interrogating her today, where had she run away to, who had helped her. We'll hand her over to the KPK as soon as possible," Jakarta Police Chief Insp. Gen. Mochamad Iriawan said.

KPK investigators looked for Miryam in her home in Jagakarsa, a suburb in South Jakarta, last Tuesday, but came home empty-handed.

During a court hearing late last month, Miryam revoked a previous testimony she had given in an official KPK investigation report.

She said the testimony was given under duress and intimidation by KPK investigators. The KPK has denied Miryam's claim.

Two former government officials have been named as suspects in the e-KTP graft case so far, Sugiharto and Irman, both former high-ranking officers in the Home Affairs Ministry. They stand accused of having embezzled funds from the e-KTP project, which was worth a total of Rp 5.9 trillion ($443 million).

Earlier this month, the KPK also named businessman Andi Narogong as a suspect in the case. The agency estimated the case may have caused up to Rp 2.3 trillion in state losses.