Where Have My Rackets Gone?: Shuttler Tommy Sugiarto Asks Indonesian Olympic Committee
BY :HENDRO SITUMORANG & AMAL GANESHA
JULY 22, 2016
Jakarta. Olympic badminton player Tommy Sugiarto claimed he had never received any equipment or supplies as promised by the Indonesian Olympic Committee during his preparation for the 2016 Rio Olympics — only nine days away from the start of the world's biggest sporting event.
Tommy's coach — also his father — Icuk Sugiarto, said his son had only received allowances from Indonesia's high-performance center Satlak Prima. The current world number eight has not received any equipment, food supplement or other supply that the Indonesian Olympic Committee (KOI) and Chef de Mission (CdM) had promised.
"Tommy has been using his own equipment in training. I don't know where the promised equipment has gone, but they should tell us at least if they can't deliver them. The only thing he's received is the allowance from Satlak Prima," Icuk said.
Tommy is one of ten Indonesian shuttlers going to the Rio Olympics. He has been training separately from his Olympics mates at the Icuk Sugiarto Training Camp (ISTC) in Sukabumi, West Java, with Icuk and another coach Toto Sunarto.
"As a former badminton player, I know what Tommy needs to prepare properly. I know exactly his strengths and weaknesses. Technically and physically there's no problem for Tommy. But he hasn't been given his full rights as a player. I fear that may affect his mental preparation for the Olympics," the former world champion said.
The local Olympic committee secretary general Doddy Iswandi could not be reached to comment on the issue, but the Sports Ministry said it had already given Rp 35 billion to the committee to prepare for the big game.
Tommy is one of Indonesia's best hopes of winning a medal in Rio. He is the highest ranked Indonesian player in the world at the moment, having won the Russian Grand Prix and the Vietnam Grand Prix in 2015 and a bronze medal in the 2014 World Badminton Championship.