The National Police's forensic team collects evidence from the blast site at the National Monument in Central Jakarta on Tuesday morning. (Antara Photo/Nova Wahyudi)

Small Blast Near Presidential Palace Injures Two


DECEMBER 03, 2019

Jakarta. An explosion occurred on Tuesday morning inside the National Monument complex in Central Jakarta, less than 100 hundred meters away from the Presidential Palace, wounding two Army soldiers, top Jakarta security officials said. The explosion was allegedly caused by a smoke grenade.

Jakarta Police Chief Insp. Gen. Gatot Eddy Pramono and Jayakarta Military Commander Maj. Gen. Eko Margiyono visited the site shortly after the explosion happened and immediately announced the situation was under control.

The officials said the police's anti-bomb squad was combing the area to make sure there was no more explosive device. 

The explosion occurred on the northern side of the Monas square, within walking distance from the Presidential Palace, the Supreme Court, the Home Affairs Ministry and the Army headquarters.

"The explosion happened at 7.15 a.m. on the northern side of Monas. We've secured the area and a full investigation is under way. The two wounded soldiers have been taken to the [Gatot Subroto] Central Army Hospital…. We suspect the explosion was caused by a smoke grenade," Gatot said at the crime scene.

The origin of the smoke grenade is still unknown. The two victims were with a group of other soldiers from the Jayakarta Army Garrison going on their morning run when the incident happened.

Sergeant Fajar Arisworo were wounded in both hands and on the left arm and Private Gunawan Yusuf was wounded in the thigh, according to Eko.

"The situation is under control. We are investigating the cause of the incident," Eko said while urging the public not to share videos and photos of the victims out of respect.

Both of them are conscious but will have to undergo more treatment before they can be interviewed as witnesses. 

"The Jayakarta Military Commander and I will ensure the security of Jakarta," Insp. Gen. Gatot said.

He said the Monas square will be open again for the public as soon as the investigators complete their examination of the area.

A day earlier, hundreds thronged to the square to commemorate the third anniversary of the "212 Movement." The event was attended by the Jakarta governor, Anies Baswedan.