Tragic Loss of 21 Young Students at Cianjur Elementary School
Jakarta. More sad stories continue to unfold in the aftermath of the devastating earthquake in West Java and one that will forever haunt the district of Cianjur is the death of 21 young students after a two-story school building collapsed amid intense shaking during Monday's disaster.
Around 200 first to third-graders at Madrasah Tarbiyatusibyan elementary school in the Cugenang subdistrict resumed classes for Islamic teachings at 1:00 p.m. on Monday, around 20 minutes before the 5.6-magnitude earthquake struck.
There were six classrooms at the school: three on the second floor and three on the ground floor.
“Some students have entered their classrooms, others remained outside. When the earthquake began, those inside classrooms couldn’t escape and were trapped by the rubble,” Siti Nur Halimah, a spokeswoman for the foundation that arranged the religious lessons, told BeritaSatu.com.
Teachers and other adults tried to rescue the students but still, 21 children tragically died in the debris, she recalled.
A mass burial was later arranged for the ill-fated students on a parcel of donated land near the school.
Read More
- Government Says 268 Die in West Java Earthquake
- President Pledges Financial Aid to Build Quake-Resistant Homes in Cianjur
- Gallery: Moderate yet Destructive Earthquake Takes Heavy Toll of Lives in Cianjur
The quake also destroyed many homes in the subdistrict.
Traumatized villagers spent the night outdoors in fear of aftershocks without bothering to rebuild their homes.
“In the meantime, their concerns are getting food and having makeshift tents to rest with their families. Hopefully, the government will immediately send relief supplies to the affected residents,” Siti said.
According to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), at least 268 people died and more than 1,000 others were injured in Cianjur, the epicenter of the earthquake.
West Java Governor Ridwan Kamil said on Monday children made up the majority of the death toll as they were still in classrooms during the daylight quake.
Tags: Keywords:The Latest
President Inaugurates Flag-Hoisting Squad Amid Hijab Controversy
The MUI has warned that banning Paskibraka's female members from wearing hijabs could be a violation of the Constitution.Kishida Announces He Will Not Run in September, Paving Way for New Prime Minister
Kishida was elected president of his governing Liberal Democratic Party in 2021 and his three-year term expires in September.Megawati Denies Intimidating Police Chief Over Aide's Legal Trouble
Megawati previously vowed to confront Police Chief Listyo Sigit Prabowo if her party’s secretary-general Hasto Kristiyanto gets arrested.‘I Can Finally Sleep Well’: Jokowi in Indonesian Future Capital
Jokowi previously complained about struggling to get a good night's sleep when staying at Nusantara.Palace Denies Cabinet Reshuffle Rumors
Rumor has it that Jokowi will replace ministers who are PDI-P and Nasdem politicians.Most Popular
