Chief Security Minister Wiranto, second from left, is to undergo surgery after he was stabbed in the abdomen by an alleged militant during a visit to Pandeglang, Banten, on Thursday. (Antara Photo/Police handout)

Wiranto in Stable Condition but Needs Surgery, President Says


OCTOBER 10, 2019

Jakarta. Chief Security Minister Wiranto is to undergo surgery after he was stabbed in the abdomen by an alleged militant during a visit to Pandeglang, Banten, on Thursday. 

Police have arrested the alleged attacker and a woman who was with him during the incident, which occurred just before noon. 

President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo said the minister was under the care of a team of doctors at Gatot Soebroto Army Hospital in Central Jakarta.

"He is being treated by a team of Army Hospital doctors, who will perform surgery on him. I ask everyone's prayers for his speedy recovery," the president told reporters shortly after visiting Wiranto in hospital.

"Mr. Wiranto is conscious, but needs surgery," he added.

Jokowi ordered National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian and State Intelligence Agency (BIN) head Budi Gunawan to investigate the attack, which he labeled terrorism.

"I have instructed the chief of the National Police and the head of BIN to carry out a thorough investigation and take stern measures against the perpetrators and their network for today's incident," he said.

"To all citizens, I ask you to unite in the fight against radicalism and terrorism in this country. Only through concerted efforts can we root out terrorism and radicalism," the president said.

The suspects have been identified as Syahril Alamsyah, 31, born in Medan, North Sumatra, and Fitri Andriana Binti Sunarto, 21, from Brebes, Central Java. According to police, Fitri is a resident of Menes subdistrict in Pandeglang.

National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo said the couple approached Wiranto before the male suspect suddenly attacked the retired Army general, who was walking towards his car next to an open field in Purwaraja village in Menes subdistrict.

Menes Police chief Comr. Dariyanto, who stood next to Wiranto, was stabbed in the back during the attack.

Although attacks on top state officials are rare in Indonesia, this was not the first such incident.

Sukarno, Indonesia's first president, survived a grenade attack by Islamic militants while visiting a school in Cikini, Central Jakarta, in November 1957. Ten people, including women and children, were killed in the attack.

Matori Abdul Djalil, who was deputy speaker of the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) at the time, was stabbed in the head by a man in March 2000. The attacker was captured and sentenced to nine years' imprisonment.